I’ve been taking an online course focused on improving my skills around relationships.
In this course (given by the very bright-eyed and happy couple, Gay and Kathlyn Hendricks) I’m learning ways to stop doing things that limit the love and joy in relationships, and start doing things that improve closeness and connection with the people I love most in the world.
No small feat…especially around the holidays when many of us worry over get togethers, dishes to prepare, and what to say to our relatives, will anyone like my Christmas gifts/Sweet potatoes and cranberry dish/outfit …and what have you. (these are actual things I worry about…so you can share the ones you worry about too).
All this brings me to the point. Today the focus of the video I watched was on Appreciation.
A “homework” item: before bedtime, appreciate 5 things about yourself and the day you had…and speak that appreciation from the heart.
This is a difficult task for me, as I feel a little shy naming things like this, and truthfully, I feel uncomfortable when my friends express appreciations.
It’s also difficult for me not to do so from the heart…and not turn it into a sarcastic observation on something i don’t like about myself or the world around me.
I’m going to commit to making this a daily blog post for 7 days. Sunday to Sunday…just to see how it goes.
- I appreciate the endless curiosity I have, which is evident by the number of books and papers there are lying around my office.
- I’m thankful for the soft napping sounds of the Henry-the-cat, and Ginger-the-dog.
- I am amazed at my ability to provide for myself.
- I appreciate the time I have to myself for unwinding and getting creative over the long holiday weekend.
- I like my new shirt b/c it’s comfortable and has a pretty design on it.